Wednesday, October 22, 2008

At Least I Didn't Wait a Full Three Months

My motivation for finally getting something posted here was several people actually telling me that they've been looking every once in awhile and there hasn't been any updates. Thanks for the little shove.

This post won't make total sense unless you've read my previous couple of posts (and even then, I won't guarantee that it does...).

I came to a conclusion. Before I get to said conclusion, I'll recap how I reached it. During the end of the summer in therapy, while I was working on the repetitions (see previous posts), my clinician called me out on something. She told me that she could guess, quite accurately, which words I was going to use a voluntary repetition on. This struck as not-so-good because it looked like I was falling into a pattern rather than just randomly choosing words.

That pattern was me subconsciously avoiding words that I could not stre-ehhhhhhhh-tch out the sound, but that, because of the nature of their sound, could only repeat them. Here, you folks at home, give this a shot: Choose a letter and make that letter's sound for several seconds. Try it with any of the following: w, r, l, n, m, y. You can keep your mouth in one position and keep making the same sound until you run out of breath (or until someone slaps you on the back of your head). Now try the same thing with some of these letters: b, d, g, t. As soon as you make the initial sound, it's done. Extending it is just some superfluous vowel sound and not the sound anymore that actually classifies it as that letter's sound. The wwwwwwater is d-d-d-down nnnnnext to the b-b-b-boat. I can do the w and n just fine but the d and b cause me to struggle.

So the conclusion that I came to through all of this is that I'm still avoiding the sounds that demand repetitions and focusing on what comes easier - prolongating the sounds instead. For Halloween, I think I'll dress up like a repetition, since there's apparently nothing more frightening.

Sometimes while reading aloud in therapy I'll try to use repetitions on all the b words just because for some reason the bah-bah-bah sound is much harder for me to do. It frequently doesn't work out as planned and I'll kind of freeze up on the sound, but sometimes it goes just fine. I have no idea why. Also, I must say, whoever thinks it's a good idea to put two b words in a row can go straight to hell, the barbaric bastards.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Torey -

Great to see you yesterday! The students are so lucky to have you to ask questions about stuttering!

Your writing for your blog is always fabulous! You always make sense...

Be fearless...IDGAS is one of the major components to sucessful therapy. Stay at it! You are definitely making progres!

Also - Glad to see I don't have to send the Italians...yet!

Keep bloggin'... I look forward to readin'...

Retz

Anonymous said...

You are at a stage wherein the act of repeating has become sort of another secondary (is that true?). The purpose of "making mistakes" in your speech is NOT to just do them in a perfunctory fashion, but to rid yourself of the anxiety that surrounds them and drown the pain (behavioral, emotional or intellectual) that--maybe far back in your history--made them seem so aversive that you had to--and still do--feel they should be expunged from talking, even though you end up with excessive tension in body, feelings and thought.

Torey said...

Note: The above comment from Jerry was sent to me via email. He agreed to let me post it here so that I could also comment on it here, thus advancing my therapy.

I don't think it's true that the repeating has become a secondary. My idea of replacing the struggling with normal speech mistakes is that those mistakes won't make me feel like the struggling does. If I replace struggling with other mistakes, no matter how normal they are, but still have the same feelings and internal tension, then yes, I've just replaced one set of secondary behaviors with others. I have worried before that the things I'm trying to do will end up becoming a new secondary (and I have voiced this to my clinician before). I do agree that the idea MUST be to rid myself of the anxiety that surrounds those sounds. The idea behind the repeating is that it'll desensitize me and make more comfortable with them. Point very well take and appreciated.

There's been times over the past days, weeks, months where I've realized I've held eye contact with someone longer while speaking and return to that eye contact faster after an episode of struggling (and when I do, there's a part of me that's assumes they'll be wincing (therein lies the problem!)). I've caught myself stretching out a sound rather than struggling on it. I even realized I said "ju-ju-ju-just" in a very clean way and didn't struggle on it - it wasn't on purpose, it just happened that way. I can't say for a certainty whether the things I'm doing in therapy are helping, but I CAN say with a certainty that going to my therapy is helping to foster these little things, if that distinction can be made - and I think it can.

Retz - Always great to see you too! And like I told you in person, I love being able to hear you speak and just absorb as much as I can. It doesn't even matter if I can directly relate it to me or not, it's all gold.

Anonymous said...

"barbaric bastards" makes me giggle ghoulishly Happy Halloween and say hi to the bodacious babe you are married to : )

Anonymous said...

Torey...

Glad you are writing as I had the hit mob alerted...!!!

I have to wear a certain kind of undergarment to absorb all my bullshit!!!! ;-)> !!!

I like the idea of Doc's regarding "excessive tension in body, feeling and thought".

I also thought your response to Doc was really good.

Torey - Imagine that while your asleep tonight a miracle happens and your stuttering is completely solved. (You won't know this of course, because you are sleeping!) When you wake up, what will be the first thing that tells you this miracle has happened? What else will tell you?

Give yourself some time to answer this. ("I don't know" won't work or be accepted!!!) Write down everything that you think of. You are then beginning to build the solution (or solutions) in your mind.

Here are a couple other questions for you as well...

Who else will notice that this miracle has happened?

What would tell them?

Does anyone else have to change in order for this miracle to happen?

OK...Let me know if you do this and if it makes any sense.

It has been my experience both personally and professionally that IDGAS needs to RULE in the thoughts of one who stutters when it comes to talking and stuttering. One of the main battles to fight is to not give a shit about stuttering and talking...

Retz